Tuesday 29 March 2011

Handy stuff for new mums: bras & baby carriers

More handy stuff for new mums - baby carriers & nursing bra

I've just reviewed a fantastic nursing bra, follow this link: http://www.more4mums.co.uk/blog/archives/1091

This is a lovely site with excellent customer service too, if you have any questions, they will help you out.

Baby carriers:

Only ten months on and I’ve already got through five of them! Luckily, I only paid full price for one or I’d have been quite miffed. I’m showing the links to Amazon so that you can see the product, not so that you can buy through Amazon – ALWAYS shop around and use http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ to guide you to the best deals and cashback sites.

I started with the Tomy Freestyle fleece (I’m not even sure this is available any more) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomy-Freestyle-Fleece-2-Position-Carrier/dp/B00020IPD2
This carrier was fantastic for a newborn, and as the mother of a very clingy baby it was a life saver – I could walk the dog and vacuum the house whilst wearing it and often he would fall right asleep. However, at about three months his little legs got so long they were banging against mine and as his weight increased the straps cut into my shoulders. I couldn’t wear him any higher because the straps would have cut into my tender bosoms.

At the same time I tried and failed to get to grips with on of those sling carriers with loops. Though other mums I have spoken to have found them brilliant, I always seemed to get the metal bits digging into baby. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I always seemed to tie myself into a pickle with it.

I was then given the Tomy freestyle Premier to review: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomy-Limited-Freestyle-Premier-Carrier/dp/B001F7AGLA/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1289425526&sr=8-19 after my shoulders had been getting sore from the previous carrier; this came along at exactly the right time. The weight distribution on this carrier was such that I could once again comfortably take baby and dog out on long walks, and only stared to feel his weight after about 45 minutes hard walking. However, there are some plastic clips about head-height for baby and he was banging his head on them so I wrapped them in a scarf so that he wouldn’t be sore. A bit of a minor nuisance there.

By six or so months it was time for a back carrier so I bought a Karrimoor one off eBay. This was Ok, but I felt it had been designed for someone with wider shoulders than me. The straps that held baby in place were quite thin too, so I was concerned that he may slip out. Baby sat quite high on my back so he had a good view of the world though, so I may re-use it again when he is bigger.

I finally bought a Tomy Snugli, which was much lighter and so comfy that baby has fallen asleep in it a few times. I can carry him for miles in this, though at ten months he is again feeling a bit heavy for it, the straps have started digging into my shoulders again.

So the search continues……

2 comments:

  1. My baby is 10months too and I just got a second hand ERGO baby carrier off ebay. Think it's brilliant for when they're bigger. You can wear it with baby on your front or back - and she seems to love it. Have managed to go quite long distances too. Only problem is that i still need someone to give me a hand getting her in and out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, that's the trouble, i need something i can operate single-handed. Still looking!

    ReplyDelete